Monday, April 13, 2009

A whole lot of nothing

Today, for the first time since we got here, I did absolutely nothing. I woke up at 11 since there are no windows in my room and the daylight doesn't get me up. Then we made some brunch, put the tv on MTV and zoned out for a while. All the while I was putting off writing a fairy tale in Italian for homework. Ultimately I got it done, once Kelsey helped me come up with something clever. I wrote about three brothers who started pizzerias, and a critic named Rick Steves who wrote bad reviews about each and got them shut down. Then at the last pizzeria the pizza cheese was enchanted, and Rick was turned into a mouse, and the brothers dropped him off at the Colosseum for the cats to deal with! Then I took a nap, made some dinner, and did more of nothing. It was pretty glorious.

Oh! And one of the people in our building likes to open their windows and blast music in the early evenings. Today, it was an entire CD of Bloc Party, and then he transitioned into Pink Floyd. It would normally bother me, but this guy has great taste. I opened a few windows and was loving cooking dinner to Dark Side of the Moon.

But I won't lie, we were all incredibly bored. So I suggested after dinner we go up the street for gelato and hang out at the small playground we found up there. There was a group of teenagers already there, and one of them had a guitar, so I yelled to them in Italian to play us something. They spoke surprisingly good English. Turns out they didn't really know any full song, so we kind of ignored them. Then later one of them yelled that they were single, and his friend adds "yes, I too am free ladies!" It was pretty funny, I think they were all probably 15/16.

And there was the day. I really did want to go somewhere, anywhere, but I just didn't want to get dressed... just one of those days.

No comments: